This past weekend (before the snow) we spent some time with my dad in the country. It was a beautiful weekend. We were able to spend some time outside, ride the tractor, take some pictures, and make some yummy food. I was craving a “big salad” and decided to put one together with the ingredients I had on hand. This salad has so many possibilities! Here is my version!
Linda’s Chopped Salad! Beautiful colors and lots of flavor!
I used a combination of spinach and iceberg because it is what I had on hand. Any combination of lettuces will work.
I marinated a can of garbanzo beans. Yum! Combine olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, sugar, red pepper flakes, garlic, basil (you could also use a half bottle of Italian dressing for a quick marinade). Refrigerate and marinate. I marinated my garbanzos for two hours.
Chop some salami and monterey jack cheese
Thinly slice some onion
My dad and Paul (Mr. Sweets and Whimsy) are building a deck onto the front of the house. It’s going to be really nice and we already have lots of deck parties planned when the weather is nice!
Back to the salad…. Drain garbanzo beans. I saved my marinade to use as dressing for those who were interested. I WAS interested and it WAS good!
These kids love it here!
I chopped up some tomatoes and my salad was done.
The country suits my big girl! Love those blue eyes!
So excited to see this same view in a few weeks when green is the dominant color.
For now, I am enjoying the season we are in and the special spiritual meanings the seasons have for me personally. During these dark, cold days of winter, I think of the moments in life that are dark and lonely as well. Instead of focusing on the negative in those times, I am trying to look for what God wants to do in my life, how He wants to build my character, how He wants to refine me to be even better in the next season of my life. So, I will hold on and enjoy the meaning of winter. Times of quiet, times of family togetherness. Times to play in the snow, to enjoy warm foods, and wait with anticipations for the first daffodil of spring and the smell of freshly cut green grass! Enjoy winter, embrace winter, learn from winter! God has unbelievable promises to come!
A-mazing was a little salad can teach you!
- 1/2 head Iceberg lettuce, chopped(about 1-1/2 cup)
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup hard salami, chopped
- 1/2 cup monterey jack cheese, cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- 1 can garbanzo beans, marinated (see ingredients below)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 cloves fresh garlic, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flake
- *alternatively, you can use a 1/2 bottle of Italian dressing to marinate the garbanzos!
- **use marinade as dressing or dressing of your choice.
- Make marinade and place garbanzo beans in marinade. Let sit in marinade for 2 or more hours.
- Prepare all other ingredients.
- Mix lettuce and meats together in a large salad bowl.
- Drain marinated garbanzo beans and place them on top of the salad.
- Place chopped tomatoes around edges of salad.
- Put toasted walnuts on top of salad and serve!
- Mix up your meat, lettuces, and cheeses for a whole different salad. Also, try marinating to garbanzo beans (or your favorite beans) in another dressing of your choice!