We had some fantastic Indian days of Summer last week…. beautiful, hot sticky days- one last blast before the crisp air of Fall comes to Virginia. So I decided to celebrate the last hoorah of hot temps with this fresh Lemon Ricotta Cake!
For some reason I love cake baked in a Bundt pan… it reminds me of my grandmother! I love to butter the Bundt pan instead of using a spray type oil. It gives the cake a beautiful golden crust! Love!
Start with the dry ingredients. Flour, baking powder and salt.
For the wet ingredients: ricotta cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest…. My secret to a rich moist cake is usually sour cream….. I always always overbuy ricotta when making pasta dishes….anyway…I thought I’d use the ricotta and it worked out wonderfully~
1 stick butter, softened
2 cups sugar
Pour batter into Bundt pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until cooked through.
Love this cake! So fresh, so moist, so good!
And the smell is heavenly! I wish I could capture it into a candle! Obviously Glitter Girl and Monkey Man loved it as well!!I thought this cake was fantastic on it’s own, but could use a little adornment! So… I created this glaze! I’ve been all about the combination of honey and lemon recently (click here….to see my honey and lemon vinaigrette) Simple ingredients like powdered sugar, honey and lemon….makes a perfect compliment to this fresh tart cake.
Whisk together until your glaze is completely smooth and pourable.
I had some pecans laying around and I thought I’d toast and sugar them and knew they would look lovely right on top of this cake.
Walaaa…. love this cake! And I know you will too!
This cake would be a lovely addition to a hot cup of tea any season! Enjoy!
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 (15-ounce) container whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 lemon, zested
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In the large bowl combine the butter and the sugar. Using an electric mixer beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating until incorporated. Add the ricotta cheese, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Beat to combine. Stir in the dry ingredients.
- Grease pan with butter. Pour batter into bundt pan and bake for 45 minutes or until slightly golden at the edges. Remove from the oven and let the cake rest on the baking sheet for 20 minutes.
- 1 1/2 cps powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Sugared Pecans