This is my go-to recipe for BBQ chicken. I love the sweet and spicy combination of the barbecue sauce and the tenderness of the chicken. Perfect paired with coleslaw and pickles to put on a sandwich. Or on a pizza, or…. all by itself! Yum!
Start this dish by salt and peppering your chicken. This recipe calls for boneless, skinless chicken thighs. I have also made this recipe with chicken breasts. Brown your chicken 4 minutes on each side in oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Remove from heat, and place in a 4 quart slow cooker.
Gather your barbecue sauce ingredients: ketchup, brown sugar, worcestershire sauce, cider vinegar, yellow mustard, red pepper and garlic salt.
Once all of the chicken is done cooking, place in the bottom of a slow cooker. Cover with the barbecue sauce. Cook on HIGH heat for 1 hour. Reduce heat to low and cook for 5 to 6 hours.
After chicken is fully cooked, remove chicken from sauce; shred chicken. Stir shredded chicken into sauce.
This barbecue sandwich is a superstar! I love to make a big batch, half to freeze and half to eat! It’s also great to bring to a family with a new baby. Just decrease the red pepper for a milder taste.
- 3 lbs skinned and boned chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups ketchup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1. Brown chicken 4 minutes on each side in 1 tablespoons of hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove from heat, and place in a 4-quart slow cooker.
- 2. Combine ketchup and next 6 ingredients. Pour over chicken.
- 3. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour. Reduce heat to LOW, and cook 5 to 6 hours. Remove chicken from sauce; shred chicken. Stir shredded chicken into sauce.