My Dad loves ALL THINGS lemon. For Fathers Day, I made him this lemon cake. So bright and fresh!! I would love to have a grove of lemon trees someday!This is a gloriously moist cake with a sweet, tart lemonade glaze! If you like lemon, you will love this!
Our cast of characters for this yummy cake starts with: butter and sugar…
and of course, lots of lemon….
the combination of lemon juice and lemon zest puts the zingy lemon flavor over the top! I zested 5 lemons to equal 1/4 cup of lemon zest. Depending on the size of the lemons you purchase, you may need more or less.
Combine the dry ingredients…. flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Combine vanilla extract, lemon juice, and buttermilk. I didn’t have any buttermilk on hand so I made my own (combine milk and 1 teaspoon lemon juice)
Combine your dry ingredients and wet ingredients! Bake in a 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow bread to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert bread onto cooling rack and let cool completely.
While bread is cooling. prepare your lemonade glaze. Combine 1/2 cup of sugar with 1/2 cup of lemon juice in a small saucepan. Cook on low heat until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is thick and bubbly.
Drizzle lemonade glaze over bread!
Package up and give to Dad for Fathers Day or your favorite lemon lover!
- 1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup grated lemon zest (6 large lemons)
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour 2 (8 1/2 by 4 1/4 by 2 1/2-inch) loaf pans. You may also line the bottom with parchment paper, if desired.
- Cream the butter and 2 cups granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on medium speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, and the lemon zest.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. In another bowl, combine 1/4 cup lemon juice, the buttermilk, and vanilla. Add the flour and buttermilk mixtures alternately to the batter, beginning and ending with the flour. Divide the batter evenly between the pans, smooth the tops, and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar with 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan and cook over low heat until the sugar dissolves. When the cakes are done, allow to cool for 10 minutes. Remove the cakes from the pans and set them on a rack set over a tray or sheet pan; spoon the lemonade glaze over them. Allow the cakes to cool completely.