I remember my first gourmet chocolate covered strawberry. It was unforgettable! Another two ingredients that were meant for each other! We have a small strawberry patch on our deck and every year we plant more and more because we just can’t get enough! I decided to celebrate the beautiful relationship of chocolate and strawberries and make our favorite summer dessert! Strawberry Shortcake made extra special with a chocolate shortcake! Mmmm…..
This dessert proves that you eat with your eyes first! One of the reasons I love shortcake is because it is so beautiful! I love the colors! The red of ripe sweet strawberries and the white cream top it with some dark chocolate and its a masterpiece!! Strawberry shortcake is a must when the strawberries are ripest! Perfect summer dessert.
Prepare your strawberries to macerate. Wash, dry, hull, and slice 2 lbs of strawberries. Sprinkle with sugar and set aside to allow strawberries to make it’s own beautiful sauce!
Prepare the chocolate shortcake…. a little secret- this is my scone recipe! Remember my classic scone recipe? Take a look HERE! I tried several chocolate shortcake recipes and wasn’t happy with the texture. I decided to rewrite my scone recipe and add chocolate. The result is perfection! You are going to LOVE these!
Combine the dry ingredients…… add butter. Mix dough with eggs and cream. Mix lightly with spatula. Dump dough onto lightly floured board. Knead dough and form into a disk. Add chocolate chips. Divide in half and form into a disk again.
Cut dough into 8 slices. Move to baking sheet and brush with cream. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes.
Beautiful chocolate scone!
Split shortcake in half.
The strawberries are ready! See the beautiful sauce!
Fresh whipped cream….
To build this dessert, take a serrated knife and slice the shortcake in half horizontally. Place one half of the shortcake on the plate. Top with cream, then strawberries, then Repeat! To finish the plate, drizzle top with strawberry sauce and melted chocolate.
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
- 2 lb package strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt into small food processor. Pulse several times to combine. Add butter. Pulse until mixture resembles gravel.
- 2. Lightly beat egg. Add heavy cream.
- 3. Add butter and flour mixture to cream mixture. Stir until combined.
- 4. Dump dough onto floured board. Knead dough gently and form into a disk. Cut in half. form into a disk again and cut into eight triangles.
- 5. Transfer dough to baking sheet. Brush dough with cream.
- 6. Bake at 400 degrees for 12-14 minutes.
- Clean and dry strawberries. Hull and slice strawberries. Sprinkle strawberries with sugar. Allow strawberries to sit until it make a thick, yummy sauce.
- Whip cream with an electric mixer on high speed until you start seeing soft peaks. Add sugar. Whip until sugar is combined.
- Cut one chocolate shortcake in half. Place one half down on plate. Top with whipped cream, then strawberries. Repeat!! Drizzle strawberry sauce and melted chocolate over dessert to finish.