When I was growing up, my grandmother would always have a coconut cream triple-layer cake for my birthday! I looked forward to this cake every year and haven’t been able to duplicate the coconut flavor explosion until I made these cupcakes! You are going to LOVE this cake batter!! The recipe is from Martha Stewart. She recommends pairing this cupcake with her “7-minute frosting” It’s a whipped cream based frosting that sounds amazing, but I was going to be taking these cupcakes to a picnic and didn’t think a delicate whipped cream frosting would travel well. When I found the Coconut Buttercream recipe, I knew it would be perfect!
The secret to this recipe is the use of coconut milk in the cupcake and cream of coconut in the buttercream. Coconut flavor in every part of the cupcake and a garnish of coconut piled high!
Absolutely in love with this recipe and so excited I found a treat to bring back sweet memories!
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup packed sweetened shredded coconut
- 6 ounces (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs, plus 2 large egg whites
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1(3 oz) package cream cheese
- 3 to 3/12 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup cream of coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make cupcakes as directed in Basic Cupcake How-To, adding sweetened coconut to dry ingredients, and using coconut milk and vanilla for wet ingredients. (see:http://www.marthastewart.com/328102/yellow-butter-cupcakes for Basic Cupcake How-to)
- Beat butter and cream cheese at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating at low speed until blended. Increase speed to meduim, and slowly add cream of coconut and vanilla, beating until smooth.